Town and country/urban planners

We have a limited number of places for planners to work with district councils and national government departments to assess current land use.

Roles are generally longer term, ranging from one to two years, but we also have occasional short-term assignments for up to six months.

You’ll be a qualified town and country planner or public administrator with at least five years’ experience of working in a public sector planning department. You’ll be trained in a variety of information management systems and will hold membership of an appropriate professional body.

What you’ll be doing

You'll help make recommendations and future development plans for better land use in developing conurbations. You'll also train colleagues in technical skills such as land-use analysis, database management, financial decision making, project budgeting and stakeholder management.

Next steps

Search and apply

There are some things you'll need to know first.

Get started

Not ready to search and apply?

Complete our short registration form.

Register your interest

Search and apply

There are some things you'll need to know first

Get started

Five Minutes with... Alice Waterman, Midwife Trainer, Sierra Leone

Alice Waterman

Sierra Leone has the world’s highest rate of death amongst women giving birth. A staggering one in eight women don’t survive childbirth there – that’s fourteen women dying every single day. VSO volunteer Alice Waterman has been teaching Sierra Leonean student midwives simple life-saving skills – to prevent unnecessary deaths in the labour room.



Can I volunteer for longer than my original placement length?

This will depend on the needs of the organisation and whether they need you to stay longer than planned.